Hyte Family

Hyte Family

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fall Finale

I competed in a(nother) triathlon yesterday. This concludes my tri race season (and one more race this year-1/2 marathon next Saturday). It was the same event that was in April, but the bike got canceled for SNOW. This race series starts and ends with the same course. Fun idea,so I signed up for both. Benny did this one with me. Thanks tri, buddy :) The bike was iffy (whether it would happen or not this time) until about 10 minutes before the race started. There was standing water on the course and safety first. Well, the swim portion was in the pool at Kearns (Oquirrh Park Fitness Center)-8 lanes of 50 so you snake up and down for 400M. The pool is good compared to open water but it's also tricky to deal with going under lane lines and around others (and others going around you). Then you grab your slippers (yeah, it was that cold so that's what I brought instead of flip flops) and jacket and get your socks and bike shoes on. And a hat. And gloves. And wish you had a tissue because the snot has started to flow. TMI? Then you go for what seem like 10 of 12 miles uphill, while your toes are in danger of breaking off....only a slight exaggeration. I thought my personal time was just okay on this because I am not the strongest cyclist. Then I changed my shoes again and headed out for the run. My feet felt like bricks. You always have heavy legs transitioning from bike to run, but because of the frozen toes, it was a little worse. But it's okay, because I had a good run time and finished strong. You never know quite where you are because everyone has their own start time (you line up at the pool and start about 5 seconds apart) so, I was pleased that I got 3rd in my age. Total time was 1:36-my swim was about 12 min, the bike 57 and the run under 25. So fun that we stuck around for the medals ceremony and Darren took a pic. He came and brought the kids. So nice to have my little fam there. Benny did awesome-3rd in his age too. He passed me on the bike (of course) but I caught up on the run. These ladies had much better bike times too. Guess I know where there's room for improvement. Next time!!


5 comments:

The Dummers said...

Great job! You didn't tell me you placed! Awesome!

Jami said...

Emily you are amazing! Way to go:)

Jen Paris said...

EMILY! That is FANTASTIC!!! Congratulations!! :) And PS: Carter did NOT lose his folder. sorry. I think he told you he did, cause you are cute and sent him home with a new one today. sorry!! It just wasn't in his backpack. :(

Graffs On The Go said...

I like your retelling of the event! Very similar to Benjamin's. :) Congratulations on placing! That is awesome! Keep up the great work. I admire your dedication to your races!

Maranda said...

Em!! That is awesome!! You even got a medal! Score!